Schedule Announcement

***Stop in for a new blog post every Sunday...until my brain implodes.***



Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Wayward Christian Pets the Lion

Hello again, my (precious few) blog readers.  As most of you already know, I may be on the cusp of the greatest adventure of my life -- in fact, of a new life itself.  So I'm bringing out the blog to begin keeping something of a journal of daily life in my little world.  It could happen that none of what I am hoping for comes to pass.  Actually, in this beginning stage, it's quite likely things will all fall apart.

If my journey does continue, I want to use this space to write about it.  It will serve as a way to update those who are interested on what's going on and how I'm doing.  But even more so, it will be a means of catharsis, as I try to make sense of all the changes, decisions and trials that are swirling about like an F5 tornado -- with me sitting here like a trailer park.  If this doesn't work out, I'll use this same space to moan and grouse and drive you all nuts like I usually do.  After all, what are friends for if you can't lick each other's wounds.  (Okay, that's just weird.  I was stuck for a good metaphor -- but you get the idea.)

I will probably (haven't decided yet) detach this from posting itself on my Facebook account...if I can figure out how to do it.  As I  see it, there's no sense in shoving this stuff down the throat of people who aren't that interested.  So I'll keep my updates confined (as best as my ego will allow) to this blog.  I hope those of you who were in the prayer group, started for me by my nephew, Garret, have found your way here and are following along.  You guys supported me in the darkest of hours, and I'll never forget you for that.  If you're reading this, and aren't part of the Facebook prayer group, I'd be greatly in your debt if you signed up for it.  It's listed under "Pray for Dave."  There, you can also catch up on the background of this joyful event. Notice, I didn't say "luminous event" - that would be presumptuous.  (A little Catholic humor.)

While I'm here, I wanted to share something cool that happened this afternoon.  I was out on the porch reading a book, when an email came in to my cellphone.  I looked at it, and saw that it was an ad from a Catholic Supply website.  The ad went in to great detail on the virtues of a particular little book they were selling.  Here is some of what they said about it:

St. Thérèse of Lisieux began reading this book
when she was only fourteen years old.
She always kept it with her and memorized long chapters.
At this young age she said,
"
It was the only book which helped me
for I had not as yet discovered the treasures
which are hidden in Sacred Scriptures.
I carried this little book around with me at all times."
Originally written in the 1400's, this little book
has grown into a literary giant!
It has been read by Catholics and Protestants alike,
by saints and sinners around the world,
and across hundreds of years.
The Imitation of Christ is beloved, studied, and quoted
by St. Thomas More,
St. Ignatius of Loyola, and many more.  

It is rare to find one book which speaks
clearly and completely
to your entire being.

A book that can answer questions
you didn't even know you had.

A book that can give you solutions to problems
that have vexed you for years.

A book that can not only help improve
your relationships with others,
but also increase your peace of mind,
deepen your spiritual life,
form a deeper reverence for the Eucharist,
and teach you how to pray.
The more I read about this powerful little book, the more I couldn't wait to hear its title, so as to jump on Amazon.com and buy it. This book sounded like it was exactly what I need to hear at this moment.  It seemed as if the answers to all my questions might be found in whatever this book of wisdom was that they were selling.

But then I came to the book's title - The Imitation of Christ.  At that, I closed the email, put my phone away and went back to reading my book....

Can you guess the title of the book I was reading?  ;-)

Just one of those little moments.

That's about it for now.  I'm waiting to hear from the bishop's office.  Please keep me in your prayers.  You will remain in mine.  There's no greater gift we can offer our friends.

- Dave

1 comment:

  1. michelle schraer hudsonMay 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM

    I love this!! The Imitation of Christ!! God does orchestrate doesn't He?? Everything!! I am so excited to take this journey with you and see what God has planned...for ALL of us!! I love 'looking up' with you Dave and count it a privilege to be called your friend...and even to lick your wounds!!! ; ) Love you Dave!!! Keep pressing in to Him!!

    ReplyDelete